Recognition of Prior Learning
What is Recognition of Prior Learning (RPL)?
Recognition of prior learning (RPL) is defined as follows:
Recognition of prior learning is an assessment process that involves assessment of an individuals relevant prior learning (including formal, informal and non-formal learning) to determine the credit outcomes of an individual application for credit.
Credit is the value assigned for the recognition of equivalence in content and learning outcomes between different types of learning and/or qualifications. Credit reduces the amount of learning required to achieve a qualification and may be through credit transfer, articulation, recognition of prior learning or advanced standing.
RPL assessment methods used by the Australian Adult Learning Institute:
- Inclusion of reasonable adjustment for the literacy levels, cultural background and experiences of students
- Request for specific evidence required to demonstrate prior achievement of the learning outcomes and assessment requirements of the particular qualification components for which credit is sought
- Provision of a range of ways for individuals to demonstrate that they have met the required outcomes and can be granted credit.
These might include:
- Mapping of learning outcomes from prior formal or non-formal learning to the relevant qualification components
- Questioning (oral or written)
- Observation of performance in work based and/or simulated environments
- Consideration of third party reports and/or other documentation such as articles, reports and project material
- Papers, testimonials or other products prepared by the RPL applicant that relate to the learning outcomes of the relevant qualification component
- Consideration of a portfolio and review of contents
- Participation in structured assessment activities that individuals normally would be required to undertake if they were enrolled in the qualification components.
The assessment outcomes may enable you to meet the entry requirements and/or components of the qualification.
This may reduce the duration of time to complete your qualification.